The following is a sampling of businesses that occupied the west side of 3rd between Walnut and Court in early Des Moines.
Amends Meat Market was here.
- Phineas Casady’s Des Moines Savings Bank was here, also. It was founded in 1875 by P.M. and Simon Casady and C.H. and E.S. Gatch as Des Moines Bank. It merged with Union Savings Bank in 1884 and the name was changed to Des Moines Savings Bank.
- Benjamin Saylor had both his office and a residence here. He was one of two first commissioners elected when Polk County was organized in 1846.
- The Western Stage Company office was located here. Stage coaches arrived in the area for 20 years.
Additional fact: A fire took down a quarter square block edged by 3rd and Walnut on July 4, 1871, destroying several businesses. The fire was later proved to be arson.
Brigham, Johnson. Des Moines: The Pioneer of Municipal Progress and Reform of the Middle West Together with the History of Polk County, Iowa. . . vol. 1. Chicago: S.J. Clarke, 1911
Hunter, Dan. Des Moines: Confluence of People and Resources. 1982: Public Library of Des Moines.
Content also from the Des Moines Architectural and Historical Tour.