Meet “The Girls From Ames”

 

Origins of DSM Street Names, pt. 3

Brattleboro Avenue – This area of Des Moines was developed by a group of businessmen who called themselves the Vermont Syndicate. They used names of Vermont cities for street names in their development. Brattleboro is named for Brattleboro, Vermont, which in turn was named for William Brattle, a militiaman in the Revolutionary War.

Thomas Beck Road – Thomas Beck was an early businessman of the city who had extensive coal mine holdings in Des Moines. What is now Thomas Beck Road leads to the site of one of the old mines near MacRae Park.

John Lynde Road – It is not known for which of two John Lyndes, father and son, this street is named. An article in the Des Moines Register, however, quotes a descendant of the family as saying that the name should be pronounced “John Lined” and not “Lind.”

Waterbury Road – Frank C. Waterbury was president of the Waterbury Chemical of Des Moines. Much of the company’s income was based on the manufacture and sale of cod liver oil.

Presidential Street Names – A number of Des Moines streets honor presidents of the United States, including: Harrison, Wilson, Lincoln, Washington, Arthur, McKinley, Garfield, Buchanan, Adams, Monroe, Jackson, and Harding (renamed Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway in December 1992.)

Sources

Mills, George. The Streets of Des Moines. Typewritten list found in the Iowa Vertical File at the Central Library.

Drake Neighborhood Association.

Various articles in The Des Moines Register and The Des Moines Tribune, available in the Iowa Vertical File at the Central Library.

Republished from the Des Moines Public Library website.

Origins of DSM Street Names, pt. 2

Bell Avenue – Named for Hill B. Bell, president of Drake University in the early 1900’s.

MacVicar Freeway – Named for John MacVicar, who served as mayor of Des Moines from 1916-1918, as well as for his son, also called John MacVicar, who was mayor in 1928.

Watrous Avenue – Charles Leach Watrous moved to Des Moines in 1869, bought twenty acres of land on Southwest Ninth Street and opened a nursery. He later expanded to 145 acres and was one of the state’s pioneer nurserymen.

Hickman Road – Possibly named for G.W. Hickman, a pioneer who came to Des Moines in 1848 and resided at Thirty-Fifth and Hickman for many years.

Kingman Boulevard – Named for Albert S. Kingman, a pioneer farm investor who owned 120 acres of land on the west side of Des Moines. As the city grew, he sold up to forty acres of his land for $1,000 per acre.

Sources

Mills, George. The Streets of Des Moines. Typewritten list found in the Iowa Vertical File at the Central Library.

Drake Neighborhood Association.

Various articles in The Des Moines Register and The Des Moines Tribune, available in the Iowa Vertical File at the Central Library.

Republished from the Des Moines Public Library website.

%d bloggers like this: