In 1857, Des Moines only encompassed 8.75 sq/mi. In 1890, Des Moines annexed the following surrounding communities and increased its size to 55.1 sq/mi. This was a significant increase in land and population. The boundaries for various years may be seen on the above map (click once to enlarge, again to zoom in on a section).
- Sevastopol - incorporated in 1877
- City of North Des Moines – incorporated in 1880
- Greenwood Park – incorporated in 1881
- Gilbert – incorporated in 1882
- University Place – incorporated in 1883
- Capitol Park – incorporated in 1884
- Easton Place – incorporated in 1889
Starting next week, I will provide a little history for some of the above communities. Next week, Sevastopol.
Bartholomew, Harland. A Preliminary Major Street Plan for Des Moines, Iowa. 1925
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tagged: annexation, boundaries, capitol park, communities, Des Moines, dmpl, easton place, gilbert, greenwood park, local history, maps, neighborhoods, north des moines, resources, savastopol, streets, university place | 1 Comment »